The Village of Ellsworth was founded in 1881 by Erwin A. Dean and his nephew, August Davis. Lewis A. DeLine became its first postmaster on February 1, 1884. The new village and post office included the small settlements of Needmore and Ox Bow. Named by Mr. DeLine who had served under Colonel Ephraim Elmer Ellsworth the first Union officer killed in the Civil War. Incoporated as a village in 1938.
Information excerpts from Michigan Place Names by Walter Romig. LDH